Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Unions Hire Picketers To Protest Wal-Mart

The shade from the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market sign is minimal around noon; still, six picketers squeeze their thermoses and Dasani bottles onto the dirt below, trying to keep their water cool. They're walking five-hour shifts on this corner at Stephanie Street and American Pacific Drive in Henderson—anti-Wal-Mart signs propped lazily on their shoulders, deep suntans on their faces and arms—with two 15-minute breaks to run across the street and use the washroom at a gas station.

So what are they protesting about Wal-Mart? Well they are complaining about low wages, unafordable health insurance, and work conditions at Wal-Mart.

Interesting since the protestors, who are non-union members work for a temp agency hired by the union. They get paid $6.00 an hour, have no benefits, and work in 104 degree heat.

Wal-Mart employees on average in Nevada make $10.17 an hour, have health insurance, it does have a $500 deductible but there is no cap on how much the insurance will pay, and the associates get to work in air conditioning.

Seems to me if the union was worried about work conditions they would have found a temp agency that treated their workers better. Oh thats right...I lost sight of the goal and that is to bring down the non union evil Wal-Mart empire.

Wal-Mart is the biggest employer in the United States. It is not that bad of a place to work if you have a good work ethic you will get promoted, rather quickly too. They offer competitive pay and have an exellent benefit package. They have an awsome stock buying program, 401K profit sharing, and health insurance. I know I use to work there. I was promoted 3 times in 2 years and left as a department manager of frozen food. I also left with a lot of wal-mart stock that keeps going up! Which I still have.

I know someone is going to come along and ask: Well, if it is so great, why did you leave? I found a better job that paid a lot more. Plus it was not what I wanted to do the rest of my life... I have higher goals to reach than Wal-Mart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems like the Nevada walmart employee's actually have decent wages and proper health coverage. Although it is great to see them protest and work for the wages and affordable health insurance.