Friday, December 22, 2006

Eight US Marines Charged in Haditha "killings"

Four Marines and four officers were charged yesterday for their roles in the deaths of 24 Iraqi civilians in Haditha last year. The soldiers say they were just following the rules of engagement after a roadside bomb killed one of their fellow Marines.

The four Marines are accused of rampaging through Iraqi houses and killing civilians. The four officers are accused of covering it up. The Marines were reacting to the death of one of their own, killed in a roadside bombing, and claim they were following the rules of the war. They were fired upon from the house where they were attacked, so they went in using standard house-clearing techniques to eliminate the threat. There is an argument that they did the right thing. In fact, one of those charged was later recommended for a medal...

So, what happened here? Well, I don't know I wasn't there. I do know that the media and some members in the Democrat Party will have these Marines tried and convicted in the court of public opinion before the trial ever starts.

Like I said, I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. However, they are innocent until proven guilty and right now I have seen no evidence of any wrongdoing.

Remember before you do judge these Marines, war is hell, one of the ugliest things you can ever encounter, and until you have tried walking in there shoes, you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

I know one thing...in what ever situation I find myself in. If it comes down to where I might be carried by six or tried by 12... I will shoot the bastards and let the courts figure it out later. I can write my family and friends from a jail cell. It's pretty hard to do that when you are taking your eternal dirt nap in a grave six feet under.

No comments: