Sunday, December 24, 2006

I stand by my comments on Obama.

Well, it appears that I have struck a nerve with a whole lot of people with my reference to Barrak Obama in explaining why Hillary Clinton is going to be the next president and that Obama can’t beat her because he is inexperienced and has never ran a real campaign or been in a political fight.

Here are some of your responses:

Why the cheap shot at Obama? You didn't have to put that in there??? I doubt you know what you are talking about with Obama. How did he become a Senator without a real political fight or campaign?

And this one is my favorite and gave me a good laugh:

I hate you and your stupid blog. You [write] an article about Hillary Clinton and take a pot shot at a black rising star in the Democrat Party. Everyone knows what you said about him holds no factual evidence...I bet it is cause he is black! You wouldn't have done that if he was white! You are nothing but a conservative country boy racist.

I just love it when people who oppose my views call me a racist. I find a great deal of humor in it actually. The accusation could not be further from the truth. Those that know me best know I am not a racist and will tell you that there is not an ounce of hate in me. (Unless of course you are threatening my life)

I have no beef with Obama personally, for I have never met the man. I can tell you he is the Senator from my home state and I am very much aware of who he is politically and know his political career quite well. The only thing I was trying to point out is that Obama can’t beat Hillary.

The fact is that Obama is very, very inexperienced. He was elected to Illinois' state Senate in a district that is over 90% democrat, then won the Democratic U.S. Senate primary because his opponent was caught in a messy divorce scandal just as the campaign was peaking. Obama then won in the general election of '06 because months before the election the republican candidate dropped out of the race because of a marital scandal of his own. This making Obama's victory almost guaranteed.

Also, if you read Obama’s book "The Audacity of Hope," he confesses that in his Senate campaign "no candidate ran a negative TV ad about me." That is unheard of in today’s politics. That's as close as you will ever get to a political equivalent of virginity.

The bottom line is if Obama hopes to be a serious contender he is going to have to learn the bumps and curves in the road very quickly. His book is filled with irrelevant feel good fluff about his background, eloquent philosophizing on the state of our nation and its history, and a hopeful naiveté about the political process. But it lacks any substantive ideas, policy innovations or even any insightful analysis of public issues.

Unless he can step beyond such Oprah-level content, Hillary Clinton and the national press corps will eat him for breakfast.

Don’t get me wrong Obama could grow into the role of a national candidate, but don't count on it happening this election campaign.

No comments: